Translate

Thursday, April 12, 2012

What if this had been a full week!


I have been giving some thought to the position of my sacked colleague and am totally frustrated by the real lack of help that I can give him.  The mood in the school, at least the secondary part of the school in which he worked last year, is, to put it mildly, jumpy.  Our preconceptions about how the management of the school acts have been shaken by this abrupt forced departure.

I have been to see the Directora and in a carefully worded explanation (which I am not sure that she listened to with sufficient attention to marvel at the subtlety of my words) I tried to explain the feelings of the staff.  I came out of the meeting less satisfied than when I went in – though perhaps that was inevitable.  What I heard did not make me feel easier and to be told by the Directora that “anyone” could come and ask her about the sacking, when she knew perfectly well that only somebody like me was going to come and see her about the affair was, perhaps a little disingenuous.

I will certainly think carefully about what she said and ponder on my next course of action – or inaction.  Where is a decent union when you need one!

It is now midday and I still have three lessons to go before I can think of quitting this place.  And it’s raining.  Again.  And again yet more.

My teaching is now over and I have a free period at the end of the day but this school dislikes people sloping off before the final bell.  I have decided to go early because if I don’t then I am stuck behind the phalanxes of parents with the overlarge cars taking their precious cargoes home.  This exodus starts in about twenty-five minutes and so I have to leave a little before that and the “little before” has been growing with each week that I am stuck in school.  At present the “little before” is roughly half an hour before the official end of school.  Which is about right I think.

I arrived home at the exact time that school officially finishes – so I think that I judged the time to leave with a nice precision!

Toni, ever vigilant on his trusty portable, informed me that Lidl had a new case for iPad in its Thursday specials.  My tiredness forgotten I galvanized myself and leapt towards the car and the shop.  I am not sure if it is the ideal case for me but it has one of the best-integrated keyboards with real keys that I have seen so I bought it. 

Now of course comes the problematical time of getting the bloody thing to work.  I have given up and handed it over to Toni who has also failed.  We have therefore taken a fall back position of charging the battery in the hope that things will be different when a full power surge links the keyboard to the iPad.  It is the equivalent of giving it a sharp hit in the hope of more productive things happening!

It is now working – a joint effort I like to think – and working very well too.

And tomorrow is Friday.  Thank god!

No comments: