Translate

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Chocolate Triumph!


Vast acres of space have now been released in the fridge because the Mighty Triple Chocolate Cake has now been relocated (“brought” seems far too inadequate a verb for such a transition) to the school and, uneaten, the awe-inspiring majesty of the display of sheer calorific excess has excited general incoherence.

It was difficult enough getting it out of its spring-form tin but, with the help of a colleague, this was eventually managed.  I had used a small plastic coffee stirrer to loosen the top surface and licking that when the removal was complete was an almost overwhelming taste experience – so god alone knows what eating an actual slice is going to be like!

At the moment colleagues are arriving and shying away from the cake like startled horses and, of course, no one has had the courage (or probably at this time in the morning, the inclination) to cut such a masterpiece and eat some of it.

In all honesty I cannot say that the chocolate dragon picked out in little mini spaghetti pieces is 100% successful, but the general idea is clear and it adds that final point of calorific overkill (I use the word advisedly) that makes the experience all the more unbearable – in a good sense!

Today, Thursday, the banks actually deign to open at a time when ordinary workers might have an opportunity to get to them, so I am making something of a regular pilgrimage to my branch to pick up my replacement bank card to replace the one which has decided to find a different owner.  I am also going to ask for a cheque book.  That should be interesting as cheque books here are things which are not normally given to average bank customers.  The only time that I have written a cheque in this country I had to get it written and signed by the manager and, knowing BBVA (aka The Worst Bank in the World) I probably paid through the nose for it as well.  It will be interesting to see the reaction of my newish bank to such an outrĂ© request!

The cake continues to impress with many requests for the recipe and it has been joined by some superlative Chocolate Brownies made by a colleague a day before she had planned to do so, having been caught up in the frenzy of creation which is the be all and end all of Chocolate Week.

I must admit I have my mind on more financially mundane things linked to my forthcoming trip to the bank while realising that I really do not have the requisite vocabulary to make the visit a linguistically (or financially) satisfying event.  But it will be stimulating as, yet again; I am understood in spite of my obvious disadvantages.  I remain a perpetual enigma to Toni as he listens to my Spanish and wonders how the hell I get things done in a language I self-evidently don’t speak! 

Thank god for non-verbal communication!


No comments: