Translate

Sunday, October 23, 2011

United Nations Day Eve


There are many reasons to dread a birthday but I positively welcome the hustle and bustle of the preparation.  I relish the arrival of people and the possibilities of conversation.  The washing up can be done by a dishwasher and the tile floors are spick and span with the passing of a hoover.  Presents are always a problem for me, not because of any reluctance on my part to accept with open arms anything that anyone is prepared to give, but rather because I know that people find it difficult to choose something that they think I might like.

Buying a book is a hostage to fortune; my skin is positively skittish when it comes to reacting with all but a selected few fragrances; the gadgets I want are way beyond the normal price limit even the nearest and dearest to me can afford; art is unthinkable when I have made it clear that what I really want is a small, unobtrusive Van Eyck; flowers are always acceptable but no one ever thinks them appropriate; I have my own tea supplier and I abhor household good disguised as gifts.

There is always booze.  Alcohol has been something of a forbidden fruit to me for the course of the antibiotics, but I am going to get off the wagon with a rather spectacular bottle of Cava which has a metallic base and a rather flamboyant metal badge on the neck. 

It was much more expensive than the price that I pay for truly a decent bottle of Cava, but it still cost less than an ordinary bottle of named Champagne.  I will have to discover if the quality of this fizzy liquid goes any deeper than the de lux bottle!  Perhaps I should keep the bottle and fill it up with cheaper stuff and see if people still comment on its subtlety!

I am not convinced that I am going to enjoy it after spending more than eleven hours in school or perhaps, and this is much more likely, it won’t even touch the sides!  Unfortunately I can’t get pissed as the next day, Tuesday, I teach six periods rather than the five and a lunchtime duty and a two and a half hour meeting of the previous day.  But I might have mentioned that before in passing.  Possibly.

This is shaping up to be the worst United Nations Day that I will have ever celebrated in my life.  But am I miserable?

Yes.

But won’t be when I get home.

Eventually.

No comments: