Translate

Friday, October 21, 2011

Towards the weekend!



A true disinclination to get up did not unfortunately stop me and I set out in darkness for the school.

Arrival should not have been so bad because I was off on a trip and even my first lesson was going to be taken by others.  But, there is always a but, the work that I had prepared yesterday was only half useful as the disk that was supposed to accompany all the photocopying I had done was nowhere to be found.  So, I copied another test and all seemed to be going well until the second set of photocopying I had done also lacked its disk.  Much flurrying about and off I went again to photocopy another set of tests.  This time I was informed of the missing disk with a couple of minute to go before the lesson started.

By the time I set off to join my colleague on the bus I had (although I didn’t know it at the time) lost my keys.

The mock-rehearsal student United Nations was held in a school in San Cugat.  The school itself was very impressive with a real library and an indoor swimming pool!  We held the lobbying in the school library and the General Assembly in the school theatre.  I continued to be impressed with the facilities.

Our kids were somewhat intimidated at first and had to be encouraged, or rather cajoled into taking a more active part.  It was a good day and gave the clearest indication yet as to what may be facing our kids when they go to the “real thing” in Lisbon next month.

Do not, for a moment, think that just because I went to a school a few miles away from us I am prepared to accompany the kids on a trip to a foreign country.  That is something I have not, do not and will not do.  The Lisbon excursion will have to do without me.  As indeed it is doing as the other person who is going has already been booked in on flight and hotel.  But I do not trust my school and have a sneaking suspicion that they have other plans.  But I will be firm.

We got back in good time and it was only then that my frantic search for me keys revealed their lack.  My friend the secretary, fellow survivor of The School That Sacked Me and lover of penguins was typically phlegmatic about my loss, worked out where they might be, phoned and – there they were!  A calm end to a fairly frantic day.

The evening was enlivened by the reappearance of the car crane which pulled in opposite our house and the driver and another resplendent in fluorescent jacket marched resolutely towards our house.  The intervention of Toni as translator revealed that they had come to repatriate the two parking posts which I had salvaged after the wrecking activities of person or persons unknown (ha!).

I produced the broken one (the third one to be destroyed) and the second one which I found hidden away in the bin in the street.  They thanked me profusely and tucked their spoils away underneath the crane and drove off.  I only hope that my neighbour saw me talking to the people who purloined her car a couple of days ago and starts to put her addition in order!

I think that an early night is in order.

I am coming to the end of my course of antibiotics and I should be ready to start drinking alcohol by United Nations Day!

What timing!

No comments: