Translate

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sophistication Starts! Later.


There is something to be said for a day when, just before the second lesson of the day a colleague presses a bar of chocolate into your hands!

This offering was by way of an apology as it represented the failure of a quest.  Some months ago I went into a supermarket that I do not usually support and found an unlikely bar of white chocolate with rhubarb!  It was so unexpected that I bought it, even though I do not like white chocolate.

It was astonishingly delicious.

Ever since that time I have attempted to find this fabulous (in both senses of the word) bar and have signally failed to do so.  One of my colleagues who is a fanatic for chocolate offered to continue the Quest as if anyone could dedicate time and effort to such a worthwhile cause, it was she.

The bar I have been given is white chocolate with a hint of vanilla.  Failure, but the chocolate is by Lindt so, gracious failure.

A quick check on the Internet does not reveal any white chocolate and rhubarb bar at all – the nearest is a white chocolate and strawberry rhubarb melange which was certainly not what I found.  The search goes on.

This evening when the teaching is finally done there is the opera.  I have re-read the libretto such as it is – which may seem a little dismissive as the words are by the Immortal Goethe, but in translation they appear, well, naff – and I am not sure that I am fully sympathetic with the ending with its glorification of the “Eternal Feminine” in quite that way that Goethe means it.  But, there again, I am reading the libretto in English which must take away something of the magic of the original.

After all my work on this particular piece of Schumann I am looking forward to hearing the music even though I will be half dead with exhaustion.  It is not really practical for me to go home and then trek out to the Liceu and trains and busses become problematic at the time of night when I have to return, so I park in the centre and try and steel myself not to pass out when I come back to the car park and pay the astonishingly exorbitant charges for leaving my car there.

The next piece of music to learn is Ligetti’s “Le Grand Macabre” and I am hoping that the Liceu will have the CDs in the theatre shop so that I don’t have to download them from the Internet.  I will, however check the price of the downloadable versions to make sure that I am not being ripped off by the Opera company!  There is just so much that I am prepared to pay for prettily printed discs and a thin, poorly illustrated booklet!

I shall comfort myself by finding a decent hotel and having a good meal and leisurely cup of tea or coffee to while away the hours that I have before the music starts at 8.00 pm.

No comments: