Translate

Sunday, October 09, 2011

Life is getting better all the time - sigh!



Well, apart from a short sojourn in bed after my second pill, this weekend has been more active and less depressing than the last few.  The swelling in my leg is going down steadily and it looking far less red.  All positive aspects of a extended and draining period of not feeling well.

Monday evening I go to the nurse in our medical centre to check on progress and I can look forward to a blood test at the end of the month.  That at least is a good thing as the tests are and a possible shake up in my medication.   Oh, the things I have to look forward to!

As the weather has continued to be astonishingly good for this time of year we have been afflicted by a weekend spate of even more astonishingly bad parking by our visitors.  As we are one road away from the sea our parking spaces are quickly taken up and then the parking on corners, parking on zebra crossings and everywhere else that they can (and shouldn’t) park a car.  The selfishness of our visitors has to be seen to be believed – especially as the parking spaces the next road back were virtually empty!

Anyone who has been into a supermarket car park knows just how little consideration people seem to have for parking.  It seems to be impossible for people to consider walking more than the absolute minimum of yards to a destination even if it means parking in a disabled space!  One can get quite cynical just by considering the selfishness on prominent permanent display in public parking areas!

The week of work stretches ahead and I can work up little enthusiasm for the classes ahead.  My timetable is so enervating that by Wednesday I am exhausted having spent most of my time traipsing from one corner of the campus to another for one lesson after another.

I think that the negativity follows on from the disastrous start to term where the managements’ compulsive desire to have worthy but irrelevant staff meetings meant that the lead into the start of the year was hysterical rather than measured, as all the essential preparatory work was postponed as meeting after meeting got in the way.  And one should remember that planning in the traditional sense is difficult as the new year is very much a new start and what one has been told at the back end of the year in June may have changed radically by September.

Just in case that anyone thinks that all I do nowadays is moan and sulk about the work I have to do to get my measly pay, I would point out that I have actually done some reading.  To be precise “Blimey! - From Bohemia to Britpop: London Art World from Francis Bacon to Damien Hirst” by Matthew Collings with photographs by Ian MacMillan.

This is an updated version of the original book (though Francis Bacon and Lucian Freud are both still very much alive in this edition) and is a thoroughly entertaining, thoroughly prejudiced view of modern British art from a commentator both knowledgeable and involved.  The book has big writing, lots of photos, swear words of the worst sort and gripping anecdotes. 

Who could ask for more!

No comments: