Translate

Friday, August 19, 2011

Regained Days




We have managed to visit a few more of the tapas restaurants and get some more stamps on the sheet.  I have now reached double figures and am almost half way through the 30 participating establishments.

Yesterday the three of us went out on the town and walked to one of the restaurants listed on the ruta de tapas and were told in no uncertain manner that as it was August and the height of the season there was no way that a mere tapa was going to be served when full-meal customers were available to be fleeced.

In spite of my showing the gentleman who was refusing to serve us that the printed information stated clearly that the tapa would be served until midnight, our requests were refused and I hereby mark the name of the restaurant with a black mark in the best traditions of Julius Caesar – “Thus with a spot I damn him!”

The succeeding visits were more successful with some very interesting tapas including tuna with caramelised onions; an elaborate construction on ryvita using orange marmalade, apple compote, Spanish ham and blue cheese with a tiny olive and flavoured with balsamic vinegar; scrambled egg with cod (my personal favourite) and lastly a rather strange mini pastie.

We used the occasion to visit bars, ostensibly so that we could keep tabs on how Barça were doing in their match with hatred rivals Real Madrid.  We also drank.  A lot.

By the end of the evening we were wholeheartedly into the game (which started at the unearthly hour of 11 pm!) and I noted with some amusement that the Pauls were joining in the shouting and outraged exclamations of contempt at the antics of the Real Madrid players with what I can only describe as a strange sort of “foreign” overlay on their native accents!

As is traditional in our joint forays into the unknown (to me) night-life of Castelldefels we were royally ripped off in the last watering hole we frequented and were grossly overcharged for our final drinks of the evening.  Though, I suppose it is fair to say that we were in no real condition to evaluate the exact relative charges!

I must say, on past performances, that I was justly proud of the fact that I had safely in my wallet at the end of the evening the information about the ruta de tapas together with my collection of almost 50% of the stamps necessary.  The fact that I had this important paper, together with possession of my wallet was something of a triumph!

The next day was something of a non-event with a late start coupled with an extended siesta leaving room only for a lunch (with fizzy water!) and later at night an Indian meal.

Today, as the saying goes, is another day – and this time I have got up early to ensure that I gain the benefit from a full day’s holiday!

No comments: