Translate

Thursday, August 11, 2011

London's . . . . . . . . well, you've finished the phrase!

Try as I might, and I have tried hard, one cannot get away from what has been going on in London.

The Spanish news agencies are revelling in our troubles as it certainly takes attention away from the “economy” which is the term for the sick joke that the Spanish have constructed since the implementation of the euro to deal with financial affairs in this country.  Any attention paid to Spanish Debt or Spanish Unemployment or Inflation or anything to do with the economy and hollow laughter is heard throughout the land!

So the behaviour of Thatcher’s Grand-Children in their all-out dedication to consumerism or die comes as something like light relief for the hard pressed merchants of doom who nightly avoid all of the most pressing economic problems in this country.

Spain’s answer to our Blitz-like riots was a disturbance in Lloret de Mar in which foreign revellers fought with police.  Spanish police should not be confused with British police.  Spanish police come out metaphorically all guns firing.  Indeed, as far as plastic bullets are concerned, literally with all guns firing!

I remember a Spanish television programme about resorts in the night.  In one the police were dealing with one thuggish British boozer when his drunken chavish girlfriend decided to weigh-in and started berating the arresting policeman and bad mouthing him and attempting to drag her boyfriend free.  The policeman’s response was an full open-handed slap across her face.  She behaved and promptly dissolved into sobbing disbelief.

I do not for a moment condone such behaviour by the police – but a small but significant part of me felt a little jump of delight that someone had their justifiable comeuppance!

I was reminded of this occasion when I listened to a BBC recording of an interview of three girls who had participated in the riots.  They were drinking a bottle of rosé (in itself a crime) and voicing their thoughts.  The riot was “good” because it showed that “we can do what we like” and it was justified because it was “against the rich” who were defined as anyone who owned a small local shop or business.

Like the girl just before she was slapped, what one senses is a lack of moral and social responsibility together with an expectation of immunity from the consequences of those faulty actions.

I downloaded a copy of The Guardian to my Kindle today for less than two dollars: I don’t really want the news I want the Guardian comment on the news to comfort me with pseudo convincing sociobabble!

As my knees have still not recovered from the forced march yesterday, I declined to accompany Toni on his stroll along the littoral in search of the elusive black sea glass.

The new lounger encourages lounging in a most satisfactory manner which I did while downloading and then reading the Guardian by the side of the sea.  Such is modern technology!

Keep it coming!

No comments: