Translate

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Always worth a visit!



The barcarolle of barking which acted as a prelude to the breaking day went beyond a joke. It would appear that our next door neighbours (whose horns seem to be growing more pointed by the day) think that it is acceptable when they leave the house to place their dogs outside in the pen and allow them to bewail their lone state by barking every second on the second! My patience is dissipating with every reiterated decibel!

However the sun is shining, even as I type I can feel its friendly warmth on my neck and it gives me faith that summer is on its long awaited way. At certain points during this long, long winter I have doubted that such a season was ever going to arrive; like a Doubting Thomas I had to feel the vitamin D actually coursing through my veins before I would believe that sun was possible.

In my darker moments I had to keep telling myself that my dissatisfaction was with temperatures which were seven or eight degrees above what I would be experiencing were I still in Wales. It just goes to show that you become accustomed to things with greedy speed and then expect more. Though I have to say that my dissatisfaction is as nothing when compared to the natives in this area who make the winter sound as though they expect Scott and Amundsen to be setting up base camp in Plaça Catalunya!

Toni has suggested that we go to Sitges for lunch in our little restaurant that represents best value for money in a very expensive resort. The sun beckons and I shall take my camera!

After a good value if unspectacular meal in our usual restaurant we walked along the sea front in Sitges and were duly impressed with the new development at Platja Sant Sebastia, and stretching over to Platja dels Balmins and Platja d'Aiguadolc. This has made all the area much more visitor friendly without the threat of instant death from the traffic squashed into too small a space with wandering tourists! The new paved pedestrian areas look spacious and pristine and, most importantly, welcoming. Even the church with its intimidating graveyard has been given a coat of paint and looks rather imposing. There has been some landscaping behind the beaches and the whole effect is positive and rather impressive.

Toni was insistent that I take photographs of rocks so that he can get some ideas for one of the paintings that he is currently engaged in completing. I did managed to take other photographs including one which I rather liked showing part of a church with a skeletal tree looking like some sort of many legged creature emerging from a window. I obviously meant it as a cutting comment on present day Roman Catholicism whose exact meaning I will work out at a later date.

One or two of the other photos of Sitges have come out well and I am glad I took the camera!

The bike rack is now in place. It wasn’t even mildly simple to do and the end result is something less than professional but it does the job and it will hopefully mean that I use the bike. I have, of course, lost the key to the bike lock which has remained unused for the last few months and so have had to buy another. I expect to find the key for the other one almost immediately if sod’s law is still in operation.

And I feel that it certainly is because my cough still hasn’t gone.

No comments: