Translate

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Coughs and capability


As I wake up semi-comatose and go through the invigoration of my ablutions in a Zombie-like trance, automatically turning on the internet wireless to have my fix of Radio 4 before I set out for the horrors of the ring road, I do not have to use my voice.

It is only when I arrive at school that I have to speak. This morning what emerged when I attempted to vibrate my vocal chords was a strangulated croak. This was neither sexy nor intelligible and it wakened a dim glimmer of hope that if I was without voice then I would have to go home.

It was only then that I discovered the full ameliorative qualities of a hot cup of tea.

One cup later the hacking cough was still there but a voice had emerged. Caffeine and tannin have a lot to answer for. Thank you very much PG Tips and your pyramidal bags!

At least this is my early finish and I intend to take the full period: I want to be capable of listening to Irene when we meet this evening for one of our regular chats and discussions about life and the founding of much needed schools!

The weather continues unsettled with high winds added to the generally dull skies which mock my craving for the sight of my favourite star. Rain is scheduled for later in the day and the only bright spot is that the class I should be teaching now have been taken to the Zoo Museum. All known jokes about where to leave the kids so that they could be devoured or accepted into another animal group have been made and unfortunately they will remain in the realm of fantasy!

As the months roll by the question of where we are going to continue to live becomes more pressing. At the end of May we will have been in the house for a year and that means that we will be able to leave. The rent on the present place is high (though lower than the flat by the sea) but we can always move further inland to find a cheaper place. These issues are going to be more pressing the further we get towards the summer. Nothing remains the same and it is just a question of seeing how things turn out.

I am less and less inclined to stay in school for any time longer than is absolutely necessary. Although the temptation to find out what it is like to work when you actually don’t need to is strong, the price in terms of stress and inconvenience is not even remotely compensated for by the derisory salary that we are given – so, things to think about.

As usual!

No comments: