Translate

Sunday, August 19, 2018

When is a drink not a drink?



It is always good to have a goal in life.

There exists (because I have seen in on the TV and that, as everyone knows, is a bastion of truthfulness) a non-alcoholic gin and tonic.  Who cares? I hear you all chant in unison.  And you do, of course, have a point.  Why would anyone who likes a good G&T want it without the alcohol that makes it all worthwhil?.

Well, me.

As I have had my alcohol intake curtailed by medical advice (I hardly count “one small glass of red wine” as being an invitation to anything) I have looked around for alternatives.  Luckily, my fading memories of early attempts at non-alcoholic beer, have not been re-born by trying the modern alternatives.  There was a sort of stout that I drank in Edinburgh lately that actually tasted like the real thing, and it was in larger than usual bottle as well!

So, having exhausted the delights of having cold water with my meals and alternating with Casera (a calorie free sort of pop) and equally not really liking that either.  I am in the market for drinks that actually taste like something like the originals that I am not allowed to drink.

I have not had the courage to ask for non-alcoholic wine, as my memories of that horror are still vivid and not something that I want to repeat.  And, anyway, who would have the courage to ask for something so vile in a country that makes so much of the real stuff?

There is a kids-version of Cava, but that it impossibly sweet and the bottle is naff too.

This lunchtime I asked for pimentos del padron which are green fried peppers.  Nothing out of the ordinary about that, but I had to say “sin sal” in other words “without salt” as that is another of the denials that I have to make.  As the chunks of sea salt are an integral part of the dish, to ask for it not to be there is akin to having fish and chips without mushy peas.  It’s still a tasty dish, but it’s not the same.

Like the beer and the wine and the mythical G&T without alcohol.

But, if it exists, I am prepared to give it a try.

An ongoing project of mine is to find a way to make non-alcoholic sangria (another no-no for most people in this country) but nothing daunted, I am prepared to do some research to find a way to make the stuff that I can drink.  There is a concoction of tinto de Verano or red wine of summer that had been advertised as non-alcoholic version.  That could form the base, the add fruit and then the only problem is with the brandy or similar to give a flavoured base.  I am convinced that there is a non-alcoholic brandy flavouring used in baking that would suit the bill.

It may not “work” but it should be fun trying!

If anyone out there has a suggestion to make the drink more palatable, feel free to let me know.  I am always looking to extend the non-alcoholic delights in store for me!

No comments: