Translate

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Unobtrusive wins!


Febrile activity at the moment as the Lady with the List appears in the staff room spreading misery where’re she goes as the many substitutions are distributed to cope with the wholesale absence of staff who are succumbing right, left and centre to the ravages of colds and flu-like diseases.

I am sitting alone in the staff room as I am early and all the rest of my colleagues have rushed off to start their first lessons at the ungodly time of 8.15 am.  I am, as you will realise, totally vulnerable and as management rush around looking more and more frazzled I can’t help feeling that my free time is in a more than fragile state.  And there is nowhere to hide.  When teaching starts all available rooms are in use and therefore not available for hiding.

The lady has returned with sheaves of paper with the names of the condemned on them.  I shall go to the toilet in self-defence!

The comings and goings are continuing and I still have not had the courage to look at the list to see if I have been “taken”.  It is more stressful worrying about the possible loss of non-contact periods than actually losing them!

Lunch consisted of veggie-burgers of sawdust like texture and it certainly gave a clear indication of taste together with a plate of cooked, sliced vegetables with a sauce which was as gastronomically distant from the pseudo-burgers as Boris Johnston is from a Black Hole – although I realise that that last random conjunction of imagers is perhaps not as random (or as distant) as I first thought!  Anyway, the veg were excellent and made up for the rest.

Apart from my liking for meat, eggs, fish and the like I really think that I could become a vegetarian.

Not to be out of the diseased loop which seems to be claiming so many of the staff I too now feel slightly under the weather.  There is that vague tickle in the back of the throat, a slightly metallic feel to the back of the nose and a very distinct lethargy – if that is not a contradiction in words – which I know well.

These symptoms are not helped by the skittish attitude towards working temperature that the building I am in at present thinks is conducive to stable living.  As you progress from room to room via the corridor it is like going on a walking tour of the globe passing from Tundra to Tropical in a matter of seconds.  In a piece of idiocy that has to be experienced to be believed each room has its own complex temperature control.  Which doesn’t work.  It is either too hot (even for me!) or too cold. 

And you have to have experienced Catalan and Spanish children to realise just how pathetic they are capable of being when they encounter anything less than Atacama Desert heat in their teaching environment.  Their piteous cries for warmth would melt the heart of a Thatcher – but I remain coldly aloof and smile an icy smile of complete lack of sympathy at their plight, and urge them to think harder and faster to get the neurons heated up!

Our Second Annual Chocolate Week (incorporating cakes) is now scheduled to start on Monday 27th of February and to stretch into March (even if this year is a Leap Year) and give us something to look forward to and something to think back on during the hard days leading up to the Easter Holidays.

As I promised a colleague during our First Annual Chocolate Week I will be making chocolate goldies this year – they are the same as chocolate brownies but made with white chocolate rather than dark or milk.  I also quite like taking over the St David’s Day spot and producing a triple chocolate Welsh flag topped cake.  But that might be a bake beyond!

Time will tell.


No comments: