Translate

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Preparations continue



Instead of being a collection of hum-along famous bits from Puccini’s more popular works, my most recent disc is full of unfamiliar arias which I assume must come from The Girl of the Golden West or some such effort as I am at a loss to place the music I am hearing.  I hope that when I dig out the information about the disc (it only has the composer and a number for identification on the disc itself) I do not find out that they are things which I should have known immediately.  I put the rigors of driving down as the reason that I am sometimes distracted from full appreciation of what is coming through the speakers.  (It did indeed turn out to be the music I expected it to be.)

Excitement is growing at the advent of Chocolate Week.  That sad sentence, in itself is a clear indication of the state of exhaustion and tiredness that is gripping (if that is not too active a verb for our bone-deep lassitude) the staff.

The lack of a half term is making itself felt now as we press on inexorably towards the Easter holidays – which are still a vague smudge of light in an otherwise inky universe!

I feel that my instigation of a Chocolate Week is one small way to increase the fund of human happiness in a bankruptcy of misery!

It is perhaps significant that the only people to state that they are contributing to the deliciousness of the said Chocolate Week are those citizens of Britain, the Commonwealth and Ex-Colonies: the Brits the Aussie and the Yank.  The rest of the staff will devour what we produce but contribute little or but shamefacedly.  We shall see, perhaps I am being too harsh and they will shower us with chocolate-based foison beyond our wildest dreams.  Or not.

This week has been one of those cruel temporal paradoxes where each succeeding day has seemed as if it was (or should be) a Friday.  There is nothing more painful to respond mentally in an end-of-the-week sort of way to a day, only to discover that your euphoria is wildly misplaced and there are days left before the emotion (now dead and rotting) that you have been experiencing will be justified.

I am now lurking in the staffroom of the old building just before I attempt to slip away (most mousey quiet) to avoid the traffic jams which accompany the end of school as parents peremptorily park wherever they please to collect their kids.

And escape.

Tomorrow or Saturday is reserved for buying the ingredients for my two culinary wonders for next week.  I will need the weekend to relax so my creative impulses can be set loose.  Something to look forward to!

No comments: