Translate

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Gad! The heat!


One can have too much of a good thing and that is rapidly becoming true of the rainless weather that we are continuing to have in September.

Things wouldn’t of course be so bad if there was a way of regulating the temperature in various buildings and classrooms in the school, but, when you think of it, that is simply not the way that educational establishments work.

You wander from an artic room with full air conditioning to the torpid, enervating heat of some small obscure and unfashionable African country well within the White Man’s Graveyard in the corridor to the humid, stifling malodourous miasma of the jungle in the next classroom.

My request for a fan was greeted with mute astonishment and the only thing that I am likely to get is one which unfolds in a semi-circle and is printed with landscapes of the Costa Brava or worse the unfinished Gaudí masterpiece.  At least I asked.

The trick today is to slope off before the exact end of school.  Parents descend like ravenous vultures and snatch their children away as if they are late for the boat to throw their progeny in for a good price in the White Slave Trade.

I cannot leave too early or “people” will talk; I cannot leave too late (in an early sense) or there will be no point in my going as I will be stationary in the sad, slow procession of cars down the one lane road.  It has to be timed just right.

One of the problems is also the consideration (or lack of it) from parents in the parking of their cars.  They are quite prepared to double park, leave their cars and go and wait for their kids – thereby blocking in people who have calculated to a nicety the exact time that they need to turn the ignition!

I am now biding my time and waiting for the coast to be clear so that I can make good my escape.

Why I should be clandestine about leaving in MY free period when we teach five periods more than our colleagues in state schools and get paid a damn sight less with poorer conditions of service, I don’t know.  But the oppression of niceness with which our school is laced makes any overt flouting of the unwritten rules difficult.

The missing books are still confusing everyone.  A course last year and the year before had, as one of its component parts, the reading of a novel in English.  These were all collected in last term and stored in a room next to a small classroom.  This term there are not there.

There was a great clear out of old books which had been mouldering in seldom frequented cupboards – but the 50 or so books that are in question were fairly new and did not look like rubbish.  But they are not there.

My initial feeling was that it was all my fault in some way until, piecing together my memory of the last days of last term I realised that my version of events bore some relation to reality.

Corroboration of my memory was afforded by a colleague who is now teaching in the primary sector of the school and it was with a huge sigh of relief that I was able to expand the general level of guilt to another human being.

Every likely and unlikely place has been searched and nothing has been found.  There are about 13 or so books with the other stock that was salvaged from the general destruction, but these rogue copies just make the non-appearance of the rest even more mysterious!

We have a horrible suspicion that they must have been binned, but we can’t work out how.  Ah well, as someone remarked, “You may as well order them now because they will turn up as soon as the order is filled!”  True, and we can always use spares!

The Headteacher of the School That Sacked Me (she had nothing to do with the sacking and resolutely defended me against the attacks of The Owner who talked about “That Man!” when referring to me) has decided to have a reunion of the shell-shocked survivors of that hell-hole school and should be here in Castelldefels by the end of the month!

Something else to look forward to.

Tomorrow: the end of the first week and therefore only x-1 weeks to go where x tends to infinity.


No comments: