Translate

Monday, September 19, 2011

Oh Joy!


Today has been barely contained hysteria as I have moved (hardly seamlessly) from class to class and building to building relying on photocopiers and printers to do their stuff and staff to be exactly where I needed them to be in order to make my progress satisfactory.

I teach from 8.45 am to 1.05 pm with one short break which I had to use to prepare for the next lesson.  I taught a total of five lessons, ate my lunch in one “free” period so that I could do a lunchtime duty and then after lunch mark two sets of work and prepare teaching materials for another class.  This is a ridiculous day.  And tomorrow I teach six periods!  It would be laughable if I weren’t actually engaged in this lunacy as my real life job.

One of my classes tomorrow is Current Affairs and my class appears to be growing by the day not because of the innate attraction of the subject (or its teacher) but rather as a fleeing from French – the subject which Current Affairs is timetabled against.  I await further developments.

Just to add to the hysteria my school has scheduled a few Saturday morning meetings (unbelievable but true) and is going to hold one of the tediously interminable and pointless meetings on my birthday.  Irony can go no lower!

My room allocation is a disaster with the Making Sense of Modern Art being taught in a room which has no projector linked to the computer so the visual side of the subject (which is not unimportant!) is somewhat difficult to deliver.

Things like this really get me pissed off – but let is pass, let it pass!  I console myself by thinking about higher things like a working Trade Union in this benighted country and reasonable wages. 

Sigh!

At least my “Slingbox” appears to be working again.  This is my link to British TV via the Pauls’ television set in Rumney.  Apparently the whole of the system was knocked out of kilter by an electrical storm in the area and I couldn’t gain access to the television. A couple of minutes readjustment in Rumney and there are the British channels ready for me here in Castelldefels!  The wonders of modern science, eh!


No comments: