Translate

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

When is the weekend?


A relatively free drive to school with only two traffic jams: one thinks not about the airy and sunshine filled journey of May butt rather of what the journey is going to be like in the darker mornings of autumn and winter when dark lines of traffic will snake their way slowly up the hill towards the radio beacon which is the landmark which indicates where the school is situated. Dark thoughts for a light day.

As usual the reappearance of pupils in school was accompanied by the customary panic as a school trip necessitated a whole reorganization of the time table to take account of missing members of staff. Our English groups composed of the first English classes of the day were collapsed – the traditional response to missing teachers. A free gained by my second class going out was immediately by my being taken by another class for maths. At least work was set; though as I sit here typing, it is hard to gauge how much of the lesson is going to be productively filled by the sparse looking sheets which I have been given to keep the kids occupied.

What I really want to do is go out and about and try out the capabilities of my new camera. I have brought it to school but I am too reticent (given recent economic conditions) to flaunt it. I think that this camera has a multi-shot option which I never found on my other Canon and that is something which one of my colleagues needs to use if she is to capture real movement shots of the big game and exotic creatures she is likely to see on her Safari in South Africa. This is one function which I never found on my previous camera and with my built in aversion to using the fiddly manuals on CD-rom. I must emulate the technique of the very young and assume that the workings of any piece of hi-tec gadgetry will be (or should be) intuitive. There seems to be more on-screen help than with the other camera so I am gently optimistic.

The decent weather, which is continuing today, is scheduled not to continue through to next weekend.

No comments: