Translate

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Time to unlock


The camera is beginning to reveal some of its secrets and I still have not had recourse to the CD Rom guides. I would still feel so much more secure if I could work my way through a manual.

Given the size of the camera the selection wheel for different shooting styles is necessarily more restricted and some functions are hidden in sub menus which were more readily available on my other camera. Still, it is early days yet and I have not taken a decent picture with the machine; I have been far more concerned with the simple mechanics of the camera and photos of my legs (though obviously alluring in many ways) as the subjects nearest to me when trying different styles, are not necessarily the photos which I choose to keep!

Today is one of those bright but hazy days which negate the panoramic possibilities of photographing from the terrace of the school, but I might try anyway and see what quality I can get.

Interesting results, but I will have to do some more extensive testing this weekend. Hopefully I will have some decent shots to make real comparisons with my other camera.

No more than desultory teaching today with all the staff looking as though the holidays are going to happen some time in the next century!

With the realization that I have not read anything recently I started reading yet another book of short stories which might be suitable for pupils. This collection of stories has lost its cover and is scrawled on by past generations of students, but it is the only thing in the staff room that I can find that I haven’t read!

It did give me the chance to re-read “The Rocking-Horse Winner”. It is narrative heavy story but the whole of the action is deeply based on a conception of class and the tensions in a society which equates success with wealth. The ending is harsh and is a savage indictment of misplaced objectives which ignore the human element. What a good story it is! Not sure how the kids will react to it though.

Tomorrow is the day when I am supposed to have a double free in the afternoon to produce the material necessary for my teaching. Unfortunately it is also the day when the kids in the upper secondary section have their “graduation” so I may have to stay on to witness whatever excess they have planned for the evening. Last year one of the parents ordered a vast cake which had icing sugar photographs of all the teachers. God alone knows how much it cost. I think that I was told, but my conscious mind has pushed this knowledge far into my deep subconscious!

We shall see.

No comments: