Translate

Friday, October 01, 2010

How many ends are there?

The real problem with this week was The General Strike.



Not because of my shameful non-participation, but rather because it was on a Wednesday.


A school week is only tolerable because it is part of a known sequence: things happen according to a timetable.


Any major interruption to this schedule is dislocating. The General Strike cause major imagined disruption: not that many kids were absent but the unsettling effect with some classes collapsed, others rearranged and people talking about burning tyres on the Diagonal made this a day unlike others.


And there were two days left of the week after it was all over.


Thursday was long and there were class changes because one of our colleagues is absent for a week and of course no supply teacher has been employed.


Wednesday and Thursday both felt like Fridays and it is never a good thing to have three Fridays in a week! The actual Friday was something of an anticlimax.


That’s a lie actually. Friday is never that, unless you have a meeting on Saturday. And we have two this year! In a school with a 35 period week and one which does not finish until 4.45 pm. You can understand that they are pushed for time!


I don’t know why I am bitching when Actual Friday is my early finish and I went to El Corte Ingles at the end of school.


I am trying to find a truly portable internet radio so that I can take Radio 4 with me where ere I go. My researches so far have discovered a suitable machine but the comments on the internet suggest that while the radio works well, it does not manage to pick up Radio 4 from countries other than the UK. As listening to Radio 4 is the sole reason for buying the thing, it does not seem like money well spent.


Back to the internet.


The weather looks reasonable for tomorrow so it appears that I might be able to top up my vitamin D.


In October as well!

No comments: