Translate

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Play's The Thing!




The epic marathonic odyssey of cleaning preparatory to the viewing of the house is complete.

I’m sure that there are some glaring examples of “what not to show” waiting for the eagle eye of the buyer to discover, but, ‘I am exhausted, therefore it is clean’ is, and always will be one of the great axioms of housework.

I await with interest to see if there is any interest.

Meanwhile there is still time for me to refresh my memory about ‘Coriolanus’ I can still see in my mind’s eye Alan Howard disdainfully displaying his wounds for the hoi polloi to wonder at. I was never entirely sympathetic with Howard’s style of acting; even sotto voce he gave you the impression that he was a bellower whispering.




For me he lacked subtlety and his mannered delivery always limited my emotional identification with his portrayal of character. As I remember it (from thirty years ago!) the setting was rather stripped down with the emphasis on the words – not bad in itself, but I can see nothing wrong with an elaborate appropriate set.




The set for the Markopoulos Case in WNO’s Maria Bronstrom (?) was almost Heath Robinson like in its detail, but effective certainly.


I am looking forward to this production and you will have to excuse this slip shod piece of jotting as I have to settle down and get Coriolanus read!




Again.

No comments: