Translate

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Another lull






I think the weather is trying to lull us into a false sense of security.  Another day has dawned and it’s bright and sunny, while on the television we see nothing by graphic representations of the End of Days with floods, destruction and chaos. 
Not for us on the Med, here it is tranquillity and brightness.  I am sure that we will pay for this, but while we are sunning ourselves we have to make the most of it.  Even the balmy conditions here are as nothing compared with those further down the coast where people have been openly sunbathing on the beach and even going into the sea!  The most I do is take my cup of tea outside when I have completed my swim and gaze with closed eyes at the strengthening sun.  We all need a daily dose of Vitamin D!
           
This week has not been a good one for my new diet with drink and potatoes taking a fairly central place in my eating choices – so Sunday, or tomorrow as it is sometimes known, is going to be something of a day of reckoning.  And there is dinner with Irene to contend with this evening.
            I know that, theoretically, it is possible to have salad, grilled fish and fresh fruit and call that an evening meal, but it seems to lack a certain something, or indeed all of something to me.  I crave carbohydrates: pasta, potatoes, rice – anything other than green leaves.
            Don’t get me wrong, I like salad as next as the well man (sic) but there does come a time when grass coloured vegetation simply does not hit the spot.  On the other hand there is the realization that at the very least (dear god, how awful those last five words sound) I have to lose another ten kilos before I am within the area of ‘considering where we go from here’.  10K.  That’s a lot and it will definitely mean new trousers.  Still encouraged and threatened by doctors I do not have that much choice in the matter and will have to plough on regardless and take any setbacks with a return to leafy plates of insubstantiality and two swims a day.
           
On an altogether more satisfying note the bloody TMA is almost complete and should be sent off to the tutor this weekend.  I also need to start the preparations for the course that I originally wanted to start my new bout with the OU with: history of modern art.  It may be two years late, but it is one that I am really looking forward to.  As it is at level 3, it will be more of a challenge than the other courses that I have done recently, but at least it should stretch me somewhat and anyway I like looking at pictures!
            It is now the evening and we are waiting for Irene to finish her classes and come to Castelldefels for a well-earned dinner.  I will be able to eat with a reasonably clear conscience as I have now (all but) finished the poetry assignment and it only needs a few more keystrokes to make it ready to be sent off.  This is one assignment that I will be glad to be rid of, though the mark I get will be directly relevant to what I attempt to do next in this course.
            Interesting.

No comments: