Translate

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It's never quite as bad - is it?


Just when you think that things are established in your routine, the school issues you with another timetable and asks you to check that everything is the same because there might be some changes!

Luckily (!) in my case there were no movements of classes, so I am stuck with the same bloody awful timetable that I have had since the start of the year.  But this morning, I hobbled my way to the upper staff room only to be met by a colleague bemoaning the fact that her timetable had been changed so that she now has two very early starts and no time at the end of the day for her to have some compensatory time off for the extra time worked!  Ah joy!

In a vicious sort of way I find that this timetabling injustice sets me up nicely for the rigors of a more than full day, much on the basis that it is not enough that I feel good, someone else has demonstrably to feel bad.  At least my early starts allow me to leave before the official end of school on a Friday when I have a free period.  Friday: a day which seems lost in the mists of futurity at this stage of the first week back!

My email account has now been unblocked after my failed attempts to get Microsoft to respond were augmented by Toni’s efforts on my behalf.  Microsoft refused to send the unlock codes to me, but ten minutes on the computer for Toni and my account was magically restored.  I have had to change my password which now at least registers as “strong” on the Microsoft scale for these affairs and which consequently means that I have an odds-on chance of entirely forgetting the thing.

The teaching day is now over and the heaviest day that I have during the week has at last ended.  One feels that the weekend should be upon one, and not three unforgiving days away!

On the health front, at the risk of tempting fate, I have been feeling steadily better.  It is almost as if the school has been acting as a sort of tonic.  As if!

I had a panicky conversation with one of my colleagues in the English Department as we discussed with high pitched giggles work that we have agreed to do for a series of project based ideas to be unleashed on some unsuspecting pupils in the fairly near future.

Our topic, thanks to my big mouth and impromptu thinking, has to be centred on the concept of the anti-hero and we are supposed to be preparing worksheets or project ideas.  I am usually pretty good at this but I have not really got down to any real work on the subject yet.  Though now, having typed something I actually feel like making a tentative step towards beginning to think about making a start.

So, I’ll get on with it while I still have an hour or so of enthusiasm to waste on meandering through the Internet.


No comments: