As I never tire of telling people, I once sunbathed in the rain.
It was, to be fair, light rain, and as I was in Gran Canaria, even in the rain it was pleasant. And my determination was rewarded with the sun coming out and drying me off.
Admittedly that was in the Before Times when I was living in Cardiff and I was going to Gran Canaria for my Christmas holidays so that I could return to Cardiff sporting an out of season tan. I also rather enjoyed going to my local branch of Boots to buy suntan lotion in late December just to see the expression on the sales assistant’s face!
Today I live in the Now Times when sunshine is an expected element in everyday life here in Castelldefels, rather than an exceptional gift. That being the case, one can get a little blasé about the visible presence of our nearest star and assume that there is always tomorrow to disport oneself to achieve the requisite degree of browning.
And so, the summer disappears and one suddenly realizes that September has arrived and one is still a rather pasty white.
This explains why today, for example, we have taken the remains of an indifferent day and salvaged the sunshine of a blustery afternoon.
Our (that word should be in inverted commas) section of beach was delightfully empty as other folk are not so hardy in braving mild gale force sand-filled flaying winds as we are.
At least the sand quotient of our breezes was limited because we were on the wave washed section of the beach, where the occasional liquidity of the surge kept the sand damp and disinclined to fly.
In the event, it was easy to enjoy the experience, and I am a firm believer that a spirited wind is one of the most efficient aids to browning, short of bronzer, that there is, and the discomfort appeals to my Moderated Puritan Outlook that postulates that no pain no gain is one of the great truisms of our (and any) time.
An added advantage of the rough movement of air is that it discourages the easy attack of mosquitos, and we managed to make it back home with only minimal damage, with gratifyingly few puncture marks.
Tomorrow is Catalonia’s National Day, when most of the world (or at least Catalonia) is on holiday and the whole of Barcelona seems to decamp to our part of the world and fling themselves into the sea. And clutter up ‘our’ beach.
Another problem with the day is that it is officially ¡Fiesta! and therefore the menu del dia is also at ¡Fiesta! prices, and a Friday is out eating-out day and we object to paying so much more for a meal that is fundamentally the same as on a normal day.
But we probably will go out, and swallow through teeth as gritted as the air!
No comments:
Post a Comment