Translate

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Better tomorrow?

-->


There is something infinitely galling about having you flu jab and within a week being gifted a stinking cold from your nearest and dearest.



At least mine is not as bad as his and with my judicious doctoring (i.e. going to bed to sleep it off) I think that I am well on the road to recovery.  I must admit that today has been a lazy day (for purely medicinal purposes) and I did not shower until later in the day; have only worn a tracksuit and have taken to my bed twice!  I have not been outside the house at all today and I have rejected the idea of going for my daily swim!



Resultado de imagen de misophonia
I have not been completely slug like and have completed a poem called ‘Misophonia’, the inspiration for which was found (or rather heard) on a metro station in Barcelona when I was returning from a demonstration demanding the release of the Catalan political prisoners held by the right wing minority Spanish national government.  And yes, I do know that the government makes out a case for their being nothing of the sort, but rather like northern Cyprus that is only recognized by the Turks, so the government is the only one persuaded by their fatuous arguments.  Anyway, all that political agitation and I write a poem which has nothing to do with the reason why I went up to Barcelona in the first place!  Ah well, par for the course!  If you want to read the poem it is at http://smrnewpoems.blogspot.com.es/



Imagen relacionada
I have also been reading Mark Twain, the 1872 book “Roughing it”.  It is always a delight to read something that is generally regarded as a classic and discover that it really does deserve that accolade because it is so good to read.  Twain’s language has a freshness and he writes with such an ironic eye that you are captivated by his descriptions.  The pace of the book is also helped by the fact that this early semi-autobiographical episodic approach to travel writing is set in the high and dangerous days of the Wild West and includes epic journeys on stagecoaches, silver exploitation, violent death, Mormons and easy racism.  Twain’s approach to Native Americans and African Americans may well be ‘of his time’, but it still makes for uncomfortable reading - but that is also part of the literary history of America and must be dealt with.  I have not yet finished the book, but it is well worth reading.



The Spanish lesson yesterday was sparsely attended.  I suggested to the teacher that was because we were going to tackle the subjunctive and it had struck fear into the hearts of her pupils!  I think that was only partly a joke.



Resultado de imagen de subjunctive spanish
She took us through the basics of the subjunctive with the aid of a printed handout and seemed to find some inspiration in our faces as she explained.  I think that I maintained an air of frightened acceptance throughout the lesson and I am not sure that I was substantially more informed about when to use the subjunctive with confidence than when I had contemplated it as a esoteric unknown concept last week.



The teacher sought to encourage us by suggesting that we would not find many more references to the subjunctive in the rest of our course and that it would not play a substantial part in our examinations.  This is fine and dandy, but it does not tie in with the undoubted fact that the Spanish use the subjunctive much more than the English speakers do in their language and it is much more common than with us.



Tomorrow I have to essay the homework that we have been given which is to insert the correct form of the subjunctive in sentences.  At least I can do this armed with my trust “501 Spanish Verbs” book, the textbook, the Internet and the handout.  And if all else fails the answers are at the back of the book!



There is always a way!




No comments: