Translate

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Always look on the bright side



We had calçots for lunch.

May as well get the positive out of the way as soon as possible! I was able to dine in some degree of spaciousness because I had to have an early lunch because of my duty.

The reality of working in a place which has little recourse to supply teachers is beginning to show with my having to do two ‘substitutions’ tomorrow –though to be fair I do gain a period because my youngest pupils are going on a trip. A trip about which I knew nothing. I do not blame my colleagues (who have been kind, supportive and generous with their advice) but I am entering a situation where co-operation was not the norm and so it is taking time to realize that I am a different sort of character from my predecessor!

The kids are amazingly friendly and, except for a tendency to chat, they are responsive and intelligent. They are, of course, highly privileged and it is sometimes difficult to remember that your class does not have the usual social, economic and behavioural spread that you are used to in a state school.

I have discovered that the school has its own branded chocolate bars which I discovered in the drawer which houses our tea bag collection. I have liberated one to show Toni so that he may marvel at the difference between my present establishment and The School that Sacked Me!

Of the latter ‘school’ I find that I am hesitant to check my e-mails because of what new horrors I may find related in them. Yet I remain the eternal optimist and expect that eventually right will prosper. Naïve possibly, but such beliefs allow me to sleep at nights.

Talking of sleeping nights, I have to read ‘Stone Cold’ this evening to refresh my memory about this text which has to be taught to one of my classes. It is probably a bad idea to continue with the book as the kids have been turned off the story by the way that they have been introduced to it. I will, however, persevere and see what can be salvaged from the wreckage.

Wish me luck.

No comments: