Translate

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Blogging Works!

Each day I remember images of the place that I am determined to go to. The photo is of sunset last December over the sea in Castelldefels in Catalonia. The sea was cold but the walk was bracing and the light fantastic. This is what I am selling my house to get - closer to the photo!

I'm not one to be persuaded by coincidence. Yesterday I was decrying the pressures of unnatural cleaning as the burden of trying to sell my home seemed to devolve on my ability to keep the place spic and span. Today? Well, read on.

Modern electrical equipment is only as useful as the person who uses it. Leaving aside the fact that I am of the generation that reads the instructions that come with each new gadget and, therefore, by modern definition I am not worthy to own any innovation of any complexity, leaving, as I say, that aside: I don't notice little lights. My telephone answering device informs me that a message has been left by an unobtrusive and non-invasive little red light. I don't notice it, so messages can be days old before I feel the urge to check to see if any life form has tried to contact me.

They had, of course. The 'they' in question, being the estate agents. There is a viewing! Praise be! I tell myself not to build too much into a mere looking at what is for sale, but it is impossible for me not to think about what the selling of the house will give me: freedom (of a sort) and a life in Catalonia. Please let the viewers fall in love at once. Think of me as Saturday approaches. By the time the weekend arrives I will 90% bleach and polish and, of course, I musn't forget the fresh flowers and the aroma of fresh coffee.

Talking of gadgets, though some may consider this particular one more of an essential piece of equipment rather than a luxury, brings me to my mobile phone.

I like mobile phones. I am old enough to remember GPO technicians turing up to install a phone (after a wait of months) with a small wooden suitcase with a black bakerlite (?) handset on top. This was a mobile phone - and a piece of serious equipment. A sign and symbol that we had truly entered the world of exciting scientific progress! And now . . . Well, suffice to say, I loved mobile phones and took every opportunity to get one (or more) as they became more available and cheaper. What I didn't do was keep it charged and keep it with me. I liked them as objects of desire, but not as practical items which were actually useful.

I have changed. Partially. I now keep it charged. And on me. Sometimes. Yesterday was not one of those days. It was charging so I missed the information that the estate agent was trying to get to me about the possibility of humans with money deciding to indulge in A View to a Sell. All I saw on my mobile when I eventually took it off charge, was an ominous 'missed call' message. When I eventually noted the call, I did not recognize the number. I managed to 'extract' the number (another first) I phoned it and got through to the estate agent. Again. I covered by confusion by asking if the Saturday viewing was the only one on the horizon. Amazingly the lady on the phone responded by saying that another couple had taken details and there might be ANOTHER viewing by ANOTHER couple. Praise be indeed!

Strangely, I feel quite disorientated by the suggestiong that all my plans might, actually, be getting to some point of actuality. I had, I suppose, assumed that I was going to be here until the spring and now there is an outside chance that I could be in Catalonia by Christmas. This is, of course, tempting fate and everything might well collapse like a house of cards. Still, there is nothing wrong with hope and optimism.

The days tick by and the cleaning intensifies. Keep reading for the next clean episode!

No comments: