Translate

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Tidy and ye shall find!


“Tidying” – a word guaranteed to strike terror and despair into the staunchest soul!

Today the garden has been weeded and some of the overhanding branches from the garden of the Scumbags have been ruthlessly cut – give me a ladder and I’d cut more!  Out hope is that the Scumbags will not return to their house until Easter or even later when the cut marks on the branches will not look quite so raw!

What weeds were amenable to being pulled up were pulled up; those that were anchored to the ground with more than stubborn tenacity were scornfully ignored after a few futile scrabblings to dislodge them.

The front garden has been largely cleared of pine needles and the back garden fence has been stripped of its incrustations of ivy.  All the extraneous vegetation comes to us courtesy of our neighbours whose pine trees overshadow the front garden and in the back the tree and one side and the ivy on the other makes their stealthy way into our demesne.

Other peoples’ organic rubbish!

The chaos of the Third Floor has now been reduced to the level of “unacceptable untidiness” which may mean that with a little light reorganization tomorrow I could get to see the surface of my working area for the first time in months!

I have discovered various “lost” items including a set of reproductions of works of art for an art history lesson; a photograph that is perfect for a friend’s 50th birthday; a cache of ties; a few watches; a lost stapler; a new leather belt and various papers that I had actually forgotten that I had lost.

But the really disturbing element was discovering just how many pairs of earphones I possess.  I have no intention of revealing the actual number because it defies any rational explanation.  I have five pairs of earphones in a particularly unattractive blue colour, which I can only put down to air travel and buying the cheap and awful sets that they used to sell to passengers who were desperate to try and forget just how uncomfortable the seats were by watching edited films that one didn’t want to see.

I am sure that I should have thrown most of them away as I am equally sure that some of them date back to my first transistors and must harbour generations of germs!

Instead of throwing them away they are now in little compartments in a special box where they will be ignored for the next ten years.

Various leads and power adaptors have now been carefully put in compartments to be similarly ignored.  But they are at least tidy.
We are now, more or less prepared for the invasion tomorrow and by careful purchasing for their arrival I have gained a small bottle of olive oil (free with two packets of crisps) and three small boxes of Lindt chocolates (free with superior Cava).  There was also a tiny plastic bottle of decent red wine with the mature cheese I bought, but I rather think I paid for that!

I shall go to bed early and hope for refreshing sleep so that I am able to cope with the onslaught.  On the positive side the weather promises to be fine and there is a real possibility that we will be able to eat outside.

The logistics of putting umpteen people around a plastic table for six is something that I haven’t yet worked out but I am sure that we will cope.

Bring on the onions!

No comments: