Translate

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Still the waters flow

A sullen day with the sun firmly locked behind impenetrable cloud – but still I threw myself into the icy waters of our unrelenting pool and felt the warm glow of self-denial fuelling my self esteem.



There really is something to be said for being brought up in a Protestant-no-pain-without-gain sort of society which encourages you to suffer for a moment and then let that discomfort justify feelings of moral superiority for extended periods!


All of this, of course, does not get you through a day of meetings of incomprehensible retreading of things that I have heard a hundred times before. With limited time available for preparation we seem to be wilfully wasting that precious commodity with bizarre meetings of questionable utility. So what’s new!


The day was, however, enlivened by my discovery of a program which looks as though it was designed for the Media Studies Course – which, of course, it was.


It has been designed to allow students to create a film or television set, people it with electronic actors and give those characters dialogue. It looks ideal, in fact so ideal that I am positively suspicious.


I ended up phoning the producers and talked to a guy who “used to be” (i.e. an escapee) a teacher who knew all about the product and enthused me even more about it. Although a licence for the school is a thousand quid a standalone copy of the program is only eight pounds and I am sure that something can be worked out to make it possible for a few kids to get involved with a few more copies.


I asked for a trial version and I hope that they will be able to supply me with a copy to try out for a week or so to discover, firstly if I can get the thing to work (which would mean than any child would be able to do it) and secondly to find out just how useful it might be.


A growing realization that we only have a couple of days left to prepare for the rapidly approaching academic year is beginning to sow the seeds of blind panic.


I shall immerse myself in the cooling waters of the pool and think of other things.

No comments: