Translate

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Paint and Talk






The mouse has taken the cheese!

Part One of my master plan to get Ceri to paint Monserrat has achieved its objective: the book giving vivid pictures of the geology of the area has been received and whetted the appetite of the artist. He even asked if it was possible to stay in the area for a few days to explore the effects of different light on the rocks! As soon has he experiences the astonishing changes that come over the stones through the different times of the day he will be hooked!

I will now begin work on the plan to enable me to steal his sketch books when he has completed his work!

A cursory glance at Ceri’s work in any of the following websites will demonstrate clearly why the landscape of Monserrat will be natural subject matter for his brush, pen and charcoal stick.

http://www.albanygallery.com/g2/artist.php?name=Auckland%20Davies,%20Ceri%20&content=artist&id=72

http://www.wales-pembs-art.com/system/index.html

http://www.newgraftongallery.co.uk/pages/exhibition/188.html

http://www.eggtempera.com/davies/davies.html

I await his representations of the area with a certain amount of impatience!

It is now 10 am and the mechanical voice from the beach has just informed the world that safety services are now in place for the benefit of swimmers –though the lifeguard’s chair is significantly empty.

The weather is that sort of bright cloudy nothingness which promises improvement and deterioration in equal measure. The beach has been reclaimed by the hardy elderly who are lounging about in a propriatorial way in the clement but unspectacular temperatures and relishing the paucity of other life forms which are now busily at work paying taxes to keep the non existent safety services in place!

One consequence of the lack of work for me and the returning to work for others is that my partner in the Ladies Who Lunch Club is now free for the school day from the responsibility of looking after her children and is consequently available for dining purposes. We have to strike quickly before she fills up her schedule with English classes so our first meal of the dining new year is for tomorrow and the natural topic of debate (among many others) will be where the next meal will be. Tough intellectual stuff!

Talking of intellectuality: I attempted to register for Spanish classes today. You will note the use of the word ‘attempted’ – it is well chosen.

Our town council sponsors Spanish classes for those who want to learn, even for those, like myself who do not actually want to learn but rather want to have learned and be able to speak Spanish fluently now. It is a tiresome necessity that one has to go to classes to acquire a language skill – when are they finally going to be able to inject knowledge with a hypodermic? It cannot come too soon for me!

I should have registered in June for these courses. However I was told to call back at the beginning of September to register. I did and was told to turn up to the course centre. I did. And was told to come back on the 10th of September. Why I could not have been told this when I phoned up I fail to understand. Though, thinking about it, the self important, arrogant, unhelpful people who were there telling us to stand in line so they could tell us to come back later might have explained the lack of the human touch. Does not bode well for the future.

My Spanish language skills are disgraceful - even if I can give the impression of greater fluency than I actually possess, even when talking with native Spanish speakers. This I do not really understand. Do they think that I am deliberately talking like a brain damaged anteater through a natural sense of linguistic modesty?

I sometimes wonder.

No comments: