Translate

Saturday, June 09, 2007

To see, or not to see!

Friday 8th June - as you can see access to the internet is a moveable feast!

Saint Bob Geldof once spurred me to precipitate action after appearing on television and telling the audience that buying the record ‘Do they know its Christmas’ was “a moral imperative.” I was so impressed with an apparently dissolute member of The Boomtown Rats using language like that, that I bought the disc immediately! And it had cover artwork by Peter Blake. Who could ask for more?

I was reminded of the phrase “moral imperative” as I underwent the continual shock as I perused the extortionately priced, flimsy scraps of metal that masquerade as spectacles in the modern world. And why does Jaguar make glasses frames? How does car technology influence the rather basic design of two bits of curved metal connected to two bits of glass? The narrowness of the arms of the specs only allows the most discrete printing of the expensive name of the product. You have to get up close and personal to see the affluence indicator: pathetic. I wonder if, with its newfound kudos, Skoda will soon be producing glasses frames with its badge of shame transformed into the sparkling adjunct of sophisticated living etched on the lenses to show everyone how fashionable cutting edge folk live.

For the past forty years I have been astonished at how much opticians charge for their services. Any group of professional who rely so much on the “is it better with this lens or that one?” to define the parameters of their analysis of eye correction have not really found the science of their calling. OK I do admit that they can search for infection and eye disorders, but for the normal sight correction they seem to rely far too heavily on the subjective perception of the individual ‘patient.’

When I was eleven each new pair of specs seemed to take ages to appear after the initial ‘consultation’ and was vastly expensive. With the opening up of the comfortable restrictive practice of ophthalmic theft of the 1960s, it was a revelation to see how quickly a pair of specs could be made. And to see how quickly every saleable brand name jumped on the band wagon to ensure that the inclusion of name and logo bumped up the eye watering profit to be made from tawdry metal and plastic strips supporting bits of glass.

So, my articulation of “moral imperative” would seem to be a Solomon Eagle evangelical, apocalyptic call for repentance to the dispensers of fashion dominated eye correction. But, strangely, it relates more to me than to them.

Because of the way that I have been alternating my wearing of contact lenses and glasses I have been able to return a number of boxes of lenses to the optician. These have a clear monetary value and can be used by other contact lens wearers. I am therefore, owed a sum of money by my optician which can be expended in extra glasses. So far so boring. Allied to this lens return is the fact that for a period of time I paid twice for a ‘sight plan’ service through a standing order and direct debit confusion. As soon (!) as this was discovered I was repaid. I now think that the refund that I have been given refers not to the lenses but to this overpayment. The difference between the two is marginal.

Now this is the moral dilemma: should I say anything. The (substantial) refund did not cover the cost of the new glasses and £150 extra has been spent by me to cover the total cost. Four people worked out the refund after much consultation. Who am I to question their deliberations? Especially as the new glasses are even more flimsy and insubstantial than any I have previously possessed. Or is that specious argument? Who cares?

The tidying up of loose ends continues apace with new obligations creeping into my consciousness with every waking second. There is a panicky realisation that I now have seven full days before I emigrate.

‘Emigrate’: I think that is the first time that I have used that word. ‘Living abroad’ seems much less final – more like an extended holiday than a final settlement in a foreign country.

But this is the moment for which I have been waiting for almost a year: the one way ticket to another life.

Makes you think!

No comments: