Translate

Friday, August 10, 2012

Stewart


Even after a long illness from which there was no real way back, it is still a profound shock when a friend dies.

Stewart I have known for decades and I am delighted to say that I have no bad memories of him.  I remember his perception, his wit, his knowledge and his waspish sense of humour.  I have relished knowing him and his loss is one that I feel deeply.

The last time that I was in the UK I stayed with Stewart and his partner Andrew and had an excellent time culminating in our visiting an exhibition in Dulwich Gallery where we were able to share our contempt for the childish daubs of Cy Twomby and reveal a hitherto supressed delight in the pictures of Poussin.  Though it might just have been that the comparisons were odious!

It is difficult to select just a few instances from thirty years to sum up a personality - but he was one of the few people in the world who was able to correct my quotations without fear of immediate bodily harm.  He was the one who demanded that I read Kramer and Benson – both good reads in their way!  He was always welcoming and good company.

I shall miss him.  My thoughts go out to Andrew.

No comments: