Translate

Friday, April 13, 2012

Who cares, it's Friday!


Cold, damp, grey – not the sort of weather conditions to inspire me with joi de vivre at some ungodly hour of the morning!  And, although I am in danger of repeating myself, the level of driving this morning was beneath the primeval sludge from which various motorcycle drivers have not yet fully, or in some cases not even partially, emerged.

In the continuing saga of What Is Going On in terms of employment, payment and representation in our school, I have one or two lines of approach which need to be cautiously explored today.  One of the great imponderables is just who to trust in this place.  We are a gossipy school and while that it itself is no evil thing, the direction of gossip is.  There are too many people here whose only concern is themselves.  And that concern expresses itself in a quiet gossip to those in power so that job security (!) becomes the motivating factor in ethical behaviour.  Just like always!

As I collate responses from various sections of the staff it becomes increasingly obvious that not everyone is telling the strict truth and I am getting fairly irritated by the jostling queues of people trying to wash their hands of all responsibility and knowledge of anything and everything that might be considered to be significant knowledge.

It has also become increasingly obvious that my dear colleagues are not going to do much to improve their own situation; they are not going to ask any difficult questions; they are going to be grateful for what they are presented with – and I am going to lose my temper again!

I am continuing to keep the discussion alive about our departed colleague and the lack of comprehension about his abrupt departure should be a condign lesson to my colleagues – but it isn’t.  One comment, “Well, I expect we will learn about all this in the long run.”  Which is another way of saying that we are not going to be concerned about the here-and-now and will wait for the dust to settle and then reminisce about those stirring times when we all managed to keep our jobs while one poor unfortunate sap got his comeuppance.

I have just had a class switch foisted on me, but I am not too concerned about it.  It is my Current Affairs class and I think that I shall talk about Police Brutality – that should get the kids talking!

The lesson didn’t quite work out like that but it went well enough and got me through to lunchtime.

My last lesson of the day was with the 1ESO, the youngest of the secondary pupils and Fridays are reading days, which of course I love.  The book we are reading at present is “Holes” and part of the delight is being able to read it without the inevitable innuendo of a normal group of sniggering British schoolchildren towards a book with such a title!

The weekend promises to be rubbish as far as the weather is concerned, but I live in hope that Castelldefels is not the same as the wet Barcelona!

No comments: