Translate

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cakes approach!


I suppose that hitting myself on the head with a reluctantly opening car boot and not merely dropping my triple chocolate cake but rather slamming it down with a thumb in the middle of the base showed exactly what way the day was sorting itself out to be.

The drive to school started well with a quick entry on to the motorway, but that positive was soon transformed into something far more negative by the quality of the driving around me.  There is no logic in the timing of the spates of awfulness that make my drive to school so much more interesting that I would like it to be.

Indeed, it was exactly for times like this morning that my recent mass purchases of excellent value discs were made.  I drive along in my little musical cocoon of Decca produced excellence.  I have stopped listening to the Mercury discs that I bought because of their transferred background hiss from the original records and the sheer vulgarity of some of the programmes on the discs.  So, this evening I came home to the somewhat disturbing sounds of a Beethoven late quartet – much more satisfying. 

And tomorrow I go on to the next disc which is a selection of Puccini and see the real thing on Monday when one of the operas which have survived the cuts made by the economies forced on the Liceu by the crisis will be putting on a performance of La Boheme.  Culture to the rescue!

The battered cake, after it had been extracted from with close fitting foil (which took away a fair proportion of the white chocolate topping when it was peeled off) looked less than tasty.  Undaunted by this I used a fork to make a wavy lined pattern on the surface to make the chaos look intentional.

To be frank I don’t think that I actually needed to have bothered.  The gannets with whom I work devoured it with a frightening rapidity.

I was in the staffroom when a flustered looking colleague came in and, glaring at me, advanced toward the cake muttering that I was deeply at fault not to have brought the cake to her first and then speculating about what she would have done to me if the cake had gone!

The look of the cake seemed to make no difference whatsoever as the richness of the taste seemed to compensate for its appearance and my colleagues have said that they expect a repetition in the actual Chocolate Week, starting Monday.

The list has been put up in the staffroom and colleagues are signing up to produce a chocolate delight on a specified day.

One colleague is going back to the UK over the weekend and has guaranteed to come back with chocolate delights from M&S, while others have promised to produce their signature cakes.  I am looking forward to it.  Even though I do not eat as much chocolate as the others!

Opera, chocolate and Decca music – a week to look forward to!  (And yes, I do know that the sentence ended with a preposition.)

No comments: