Translate

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Culture Cures!


There is nothing worse than finding out, via late planning, that there is not enough time to do something.

I vividly remember devising my “revision” timetable for my final examinations in college and discovering that I had to “do” Jane Austen in the morning of one day and Charlotte Bronte in the afternoon of the same day if everything was to be covered!  It made for some fairly hairy, adrenalin boosted learning – and to this day Austen’s novels tend to merge into one great, exquisitely written marriage fest.

The latest late planning revelation is that the presentations of my Making Sense of Modern Art have to be telescoped into a fairly short period of time.  A very short period of time.

Let me explain.

A normal school timetable is usually built around the concept of three terms.  Given the idiotic way that we have of finding the date of Easter, these three terms are not of equal length but, for general purposes, the year is divided into three.

I teach a course which is taught three times during the year and I therefore assumed (fatal!) that I would be teaching each of the three groups for a term.

Wrong.

For example: the present term ends with the start of the Easter holidays on the 2nd of April, but my second term course actually end on the 13th of February.  That is officially, because there is a week of trips before then starting on the 5th of February (which is a Sunday) so the period of teaching actually ends on Friday the 4th of February, or in my case on the 3rd of February because I do not have a lesson on Friday.  So, from a comfortable view taking in April to illustrate all the finer details of the course I now find myself trying to cram everything in before the start of February!

This is my own fault of course because there was a single line on one of the many documents I have which told me the essential information about the length of the second term as far as taught groups was concerned, but I relied instead on a vague idea of it being some time in early March to keep me going.

I should follow the lead of Suzanne and make sure that I have all my lessons dated and planned from the start of the year!  Shame on me!

Next term (oh, how often have I heard all this before) will be different and I will fill in one of the many forms that Suzanne has given me so that I will know exactly where I am going in terms of the term time!

Meanwhile (and this is to be kept as a close secret) I have completed the two years Mock Examinations papers that I am supposed to mark and I am merely waiting for the class lists so that I can enter the marks on the sheets.

Very dangerously I find that all of my papers will have been sat before the end of this week and, if I keep up my furious (in all senses of the word) marking rate I should be finished before the rest of the Department start on their appointed tasks – thereby making me available to “assist” my colleagues in getting the mountain of marking done.  This, with all due respect to outmoded concepts of Christian Charity, is a bad thing.  I am going to keep most mousy quiet about it all and find other places in school to lurk so that my efficiency (in this single regard) does not become generally known!

After school to Montjuic and the Fundació Joan Miró for a visit to the exhibition which I declined to pay vast sums of money to go and see when I was in London last.  This was a good decision as my teacher’s identification card meant that I got in free in Barcelona!

The exhibition of an artist who is far from being one my favourites, even in terms of Catalan art, was actually quite stimulating.  This was not only because they had a reasonable selection from Miró’s early paintings, but also because there were some startlingly large and effective canvases from his late work too.
Although Miró is best known for his Surrealist paintings and the later Abstract Expressionist productions I was most impressed by the series of paintings centred around his parents’ home in Mont-roig.  These are highly detailed and colourful canvasses which are representational while the components of the landscapes are simplified into a series of stylized decorative elements which make the finished work more closely related to an exercise in graphic design than a startlingly modern exercise in contemporary art.

It is a tribute to this exhibition that it becomes startlingly clear that although the canvasses became larger and the painted symbols became more abstract and rough that Miró never lost sight of his fascination with the small details which make his paintings almost lapidary in their effect.

Perhaps this attention to detail can be seen best in the three very large paintings (267cm x 350cm) called “Painting on White Background for the Cell of a Recluse I, II, III.”  The white painted surface on each painting is only disturbed by a thin, black meandering line.  On two of the paintings the lines roughly descends from right to left while on the “central” panel the line descends in a just-off vertical way to a vague hook like curve at the end.  To sit on a bench and look at these three walls is a remarkable experience almost equivalent in power to the Rothko room in the Tate.

Well worth visiting and a considerable achievement on Suzanne and my part considering this is a Thursday of a week which seems to have been ploughing its painfully slow way along for at least the last twenty or so days.  And we have to go in to school tomorrow for an early start.  What dedication to culture we both show.

Tomorrow will see the rest of the classes take the papers that I will have to mark, but I will have no time during the day to get them started so they are going to hang over me during the weekend – because I have no intention whatsoever of bringing the papers home to do.

On another point I have been informed by Suzanne that the new date for the end of my second term class on Modern Art is wrong and that I was right in the first place about when the bloody thing is supposed to come to a conclusion.  Back to the drawing board and see what can be salvaged from my re-jigged plans.  Can plans be re-re-jigged?  And can I pretend that all this chaos is exactly what I had planned in the first place?

One can but try.

No comments: