Translate

Monday, January 09, 2012

The day arrives!


The horrible reality of actually being in school for yet another calendar year is almost overwhelming.  Were it totally overwhelming then one could hide in the collapse that “totally” would ensure but, alas, there is enough of conscious thought to make the experience truly awful!

Given my health status during the vacation, I feel that I am now entitled to a holiday.  Alas, that is not possible and this term is packed with tedious pseudo-teaching which will make the moments pass like eons.

However, that is enough whingeing.  At least for today.  Unless anything untoward happens.  As it bloody well will.

Today, as a welcome back into the swing of things, I only have five periods to teach, including a lunchtime duty.  Tomorrow I have six periods to teach including a double period with Year 9 last thing in the afternoon.  These first two days are not designed to make me feel relaxed or in any way jocose about the way the week wags. 

This is one of the disasters that starting on a Monday means.  I have discussed this with a colleague and we have agreed that it would have been “better” to have come back on Thursday and done an extra two days in a broken week rather than have started “cold” with a bleak Monday and with an infinite week ahead without respite.  That sort of reasoning is why no Minister of Education really understands what makes teachers tick.

Our combined wisdom has come no nearer to understanding the bureaucratic mind that thought that six separate payments for two amounts of money would be a good idea.  After the Grand Statement that we would have 80% of our “extra” payment at Christmas withheld and that we would be taxed on 100% of the payment the Generalitat backed down and paid everything in dribs and drabs with the last payments being banked on the 28th of December.  Merry Christmas!

No one is any clearer about what might happen and very few appear to have checked to have seen what actually did happen to the money that they were supposed to be paid.  I am prepared to bet that only a tiny percentage of my colleagues has any real perception of the total amount that they are paid.  This again is a characteristic of teachers: they don’t know their salaries!  But at least in Britain they fight like hell to make sure they get more of what they don’t know they have!

I had a heartfelt conversation with a Primary colleague just before I had to do my lunchtime duty and we agreed about the signal evil of doing anything other than augmenting pensions (god bless them!) and paying them with smiles and thanks.  The situation here in Spain is going to get much, much worse when people finally start taking the present economic situation seriously.

As we are in the Euro Zone what happens to Greece is of paramount importance to the financial situation in Catalonia and more and more of the opinion that I trust seems to be coming round to the acceptance that Greece is a lost cause and it should be forced out of the Zone.  God alone knows what that will do to the situation here and it is not something which I contemplate with any degree of equanimity.

There is, however, just one more lesson today and then home and the possibility of my book waiting for me.  Given the awful past record of the carrier that Amazon entrusts packages to in this part of the world I think I can safely say that there is no possibility whatsoever of it being there.

Added to that is the trouble stemming from Robert’s infected email which blighted my contacts list and sent them all annoying scams.  My account has been blocked and the powers that be in the Microsoft world do not seem eager to send me the code which will unlock my frozen account.  Just one thing after another!

Never let it be said that I am not man enough to admit it when I am wrong.

The Modern Art books were waiting for me when I got home.  They arrived at eight o’clock in the morning – and I therefore take back much of the nasty insinuations of rampant inefficiency that I was throwing around!

The books themselves are excellent with some brilliant full-page illustrations of the paintings and some fascinating photographs of the artists in situ.  They are two very hefty volumes and are characterised by the typically superb value that the publisher Taschen offers.  It is a little too early to evaluate the text, but from cursory reading it does not seem to have the same strength of the pictorial aspect but I have already gained a few insights concerning the artists and the movements – and there are hundreds more pages to explore!

It beats teaching!


No comments: