Translate

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

This too will pass!



In the annals of heinous crimes in education there is not one which ranks as despicably as teaching six periods in a single day.

In a normal school this would be impossible as there are only five periods in a day.  But in our school not only was I able to teach six periods but I had a so-called “free” period as well, and that is not even counting the spaciousness of our lunch hour!  Ah, the delights of physically being in school for eight solid hours – at least!  Eight and a half on Thursday and Friday!  What the hell am I doing in the place?  The money (however little) might have something to do with it!

On the positive side, as I have two early starts on a Thursday and Friday I can go home an hour early on Friday afternoon; little enough recompense I think.

We are all feeling so suicidal at the moment that even news from the outside world seems something guaranteed to make us feel better.  So we chatted about the financial situation of Greece to raise our spirits.

It hardly seems fair that the whole economic situation of the world has descended into farce just because, for once in my life, I have a modest amount in savings!  The entire universe seems to have conspired against me because I tampered with the natural order of things by not spending all the money I had at once.  I should have followed that old gasbag Polonius’s advice and been to mine own self true and spent when I had it as if it was going out of fashion.
I believe that “The Angels’ Portion” is a phrase the French use to describe the amount of Cognac which disappears into thin air by evaporation.  I do feel that this phrase can now be applied to savings as we watch the value of our money dwindle.  There is a nice irony that fine Cognac is the sort of drink of bankers and their ilk – but I’m not quite sure where that comment is going but I don’t intend it to reflect well on those unscrupulous wasters!

But enough of unrelenting grumbling and gloom: it’s Wednesday and the traditional “tipping” day of the week when the weekend is nearer than the start of the week.

Friday sees a long delayed meeting with Caroline for one of our quarterly drinks and then on Saturday a visit to the food fair of Castelldefels and a visiting of some of the establishments’ stalls whose tapas gave so much pleasure.  I am going by bus so that I can sample the wine and other drinks to which my ticket entitles me!

Meanwhile the Media Studies booklet was completed just before the first class of the course and the raw materials for the Making Sense of Modern Art booklet are awaiting compilation and printing.

The term has really started!


No comments: