Translate

Sunday, August 14, 2011

The clock is ticking!


It is a truly horrible thought that there are just over two weeks left of the summer holiday.

Admittedly there is a little bonus of the days from the 1st to the 12th of September being without the kids – but this is merely an excuse for our school to go quietly berserk and suddenly institute meetings the import of which is to change completely the expectations that we were left with at the end of the previous year.  This is disconcerting to say the least and it makes the period without students a little febrile to put it mildly.

I have not yet had my timetable and blithe assertions that it “will be like this year’s” only made me wonder about the equivocal meaning of a word like “like”!  I have done no schoolwork apart from buying a few books and looking at the pictures.  This is not as facile as it sounds, as they were art books related to the History of Art course that I might be teaching next year.  Or not.  Who knows?

The same thing goes for the Media Studies course which may or may not exist by the time September comes around.

And how, precisely, are the new computers (tablets?) for the 1ESO going to be used?  How will the time leading up to the IMUN conference be shared?  Am I going to have a Proficiency class this year as I didn’t have 1BXT last?  The wording and the designations may be a little different, but the basic paranoia is the same for all teachers working up their enthusiasm or fear levels which peak at the end of August.

I, however, am not going to think about such things as I have three lots of visitors before the reality of the students impinges on my consciousness.

The Pauls are on their way delayed by hot air balloons and The Red Arrows; such one-upmanship – I always have prosaic delays with planes being in the wrong places!

The Pauls have chosen an evening and a time to arrive when the concerns of all right thinking Catalans are not on a flight from Bristol but rather on a stadium in Madrid where Real Madrid and Barça are to have one of their cataclysmic meetings. 

Toni is not accompanying me to the airport.  He had to stay and watch the television; the team cannot win without his constant support.  He will be wearing a Barça shirt. 

What more can I say?


No comments: