Translate

Monday, June 13, 2011

Cake Day!

cgan1531l.jpg


The cake is out of the freezer and softly defrosting.

It doesn’t look exactly symmetrical and I am wondering just how much one can do with a palette knife – especially when one does not have one.  Or is a palette knife just for painting?  I am thinking about the rounded end pliable knife used to smooth icing sugar.  Well, whatever it’s called I haven’t got one and so I will have to improvise or make my cack-handed attempts look intentional!

The most that can be said for the weather is that it isn’t raining, though it looks that though it is thinking about so doing.  So far June has been a total failure.  I am eager for summer to start and to stay.  Perhaps it is waiting for me to finish school and then it will spring forth in all its glory and not go away until the start of school in September.

The weather improved and the cake was a success.  Every bit of it was consumed.  I have therefore been emboldened to try another one with the cream and chocolate that I had left.

This one took a tenth of the time that I took with the first one and although I had to improvise with the fruit – as I didn’t have any strawberries left I used apple and nectarines and marinated them in red wine and brown sugar with a touch of lemon juice.  That sounds really professional: one cake and suddenly I am a Master Baker!  The proof of the mastery is in the eating and that is yet to happen.

The whisking of the egg whites was taken to the next stage this time.  After listening to the advice of two hardened professionals about the dangers of grease remnants stopping the formation of peaks, I was meticulous in my washing of the receptacle for the whisking thereof.  And it didn’t work, but it didn’t work in a way which was a step nearer to success, so I wasn’t downhearted – and I used them anyway!

The whole thing is now freezing so that – well, I don’t really know but I was told that it was the thing to do.

Toni has had his Name Day celebrated in style with the assembled hosts of The Family going out to Our Restaurant and then having a selection of cakes made by Toni’s sister and my good self!

Another day gone and we are now down to single numbers with the kids.  All things come to those who wait and wait and wait!

And a day of the week is already gone!


No comments: