Translate

Friday, March 19, 2010

Power to the people!


Another day when the ramifications of two colleagues going off on an inset day when everyone is finalizing results and trying to get them into a recalcitrant computer system is being felt at its worst.

By some more than others because only some of us (me included, but I am not resentful, oh no) have had our free time taken to substitute for the ones who are absent.

The one positive aspect to this more than negative situation is that I do not have to go to another interminable meeting being conducted in a language in which I stumble along from one misunderstanding to the next.

An executive decision was obviously made that, since I understand little in the meeting, I could be most usefully spared from the torture of teacher-talk.

I have to consider that sophistication (or decadence, I’m not sure which) is the ability to take delight in small things. The news that my new six cell (or is that six-cell? A much sexier spelling) battery for the small laptop has arrived in a frighteningly short period of time. It was ordered the day before yesterday but, because of a misunderstanding with the web site, I stated that I would pay for the thing with a banker’s draft.

The only time that I can remember having anything to do with such things was with payment for the deposit of the flat many moon ago. So long ago indeed, that I had no idea what I did to get one.

I went to my new bank, La Caixa, and presented the print out from the website and promptly had the cost of the battery deducted from my account. By the time I had got home and turned on the computer there were various emails telling me that my order had been dispatched and that I could track the item by clicking on something and I could do other things as well, but they were far too complicated to understand in Spanish. I was able to click to translate everything into English and that made things no clearer whatsoever.

The only thing I did see and understand was an estimate of when I should receive the item. That was today and today it has come! How unlike the home life of our own dear post office! Mainly, I think, because it wasn’t the post office, but UPS. There is a lesson there if I care to search for it. But I fear that the political baggage is not something which I care to explore!



The new battery is roughly a third of the price I paid for the computer when new, so it better bloody work and work bloody well too!

My marking is done, but the ramifications of the marking continue to dominate school life. I fear that it is going to dominate mine as I try and work out the mathematical horrors which will give a single mark which might be suitable for the meeting (which I will have to attend) on Monday to trawl through the results and see if we can say something new and interesting about the marks.

The weekend begins and new tasks have been thought out; though after an excellent menu del dia I am less inclined than ever to do anything which involves exertion.

Perhaps a little light reading!

No comments: