Translate

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

It's the waiting!


If I had to describe the feeling inside the staff room today I would say that it is like a ‘phoney’ end of term. There is a sense of termination, but not actual completion. There is an undercurrent of baying for films rather that instruction from our clients, but there is still work to be done and work to be set for those days when we are not here.

But term still limps on to its culmination where my greatest fear is that I am called on (again) to be a referee in one of the many games of football which seem to be something of a feature of the last day of term. My last stint of arbitration was mercifully cut short by the unseasonable rain which rapidly developed into a very physical constant in the season that followed.

Today is yet another brightly dull day where the sun is hidden behind shining clouds of misty obstruction. I have been told that the weekend is going to be sunnier but, oddly, colder than it is today. This does not bode well for the holiday which I wanted to spend prone on the third floor soaking up my vitamin D.

Another day is done! A day nearer the fabled holidays for which none of us can wait! Tomorrow is my free afternoon and then on Friday I have a blood test – the things I will do to get a few hours off school!

The advent of the holidays may also tempt our appalling neighbours to come and stay in their holiday home next door. There have been suspicious sounds emanating from the house which would appear to indicate that they are intending to make a holiday appearance. This is bad news. Their attitude towards everyone else is one of contempt and inconsideration, so their advent is greeted with general dread.

At least the weather is not good enough to encourage these dreadful people to conduct their sordid lives outside and, with any luck, their epic rows will be confined to the interior and at least the walls and windows will muffle some of the sounds of their daily conflicts!

Usually by this time of the year we can say with some confidence that the summer is near, but this year the adverse weather conditions forbid any easy assumption of that sort.

I sincerely hope that the sun returns in force to sooth my reasonable anxiety about what the summer is going to be like this year.

No comments: