Translate

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Weekends are too short



Sometimes the brain gives you a little present and yesterday I was the grateful recipient of its gift.

Saturday felt like a Sunday. I therefore had, last night, the delightful realization that there was an extra day to the weekend. Not only that but also as Sunday was a ‘gained’ day it lost the stigma as being the day before Monday - which for teachers usually takes away the relaxation that a non-teaching day can bring.

All of life is checks and balances and the gain of the day seemed to be augmented by the addition of bright sunshine! Didn’t last of course and now the day is overcast and even if I didn’t know that it was a Sunday I would have been able to guess by the shoddy, slightly resentful weather which is characteristic of the lead up to a working day!

Rather than do the marking which I had set myself for this weekend I have resorted to my usual default indolence position and re-read one of E F Benson’s Lucia novels, ‘Trouble for Lucia’ which has the eponymous heroine on the ropes as all her snobbish structures seem to fall and her friends crowd round like a group of avaricious vultures ready to tear into her flesh.

Lucia’s faults are deep and wide but one can’t help feeling a sort of grudging sympathy for her predicaments - which are usually of her own making. And the novels are very funny and make me laugh out loud. I wonder if Jane Austen would have liked them. I think so.

Our weather is becoming more and more fractious. A good start degenerated from sunshine into sporadic rain and the temperature dropped again.

Tomorrow poor weather will have to complete with the fury I feel when my supposed free periods disappear in taking care of the rump of kids who are not going on the ski trip. I think that I am going to start keeping a record of just how many periods I loose. My conspiracy theory approach to school is invariably more accurate than an easy assumption of fairness!

The week following is Fiesta (with a capital F) when all schools make some sort of nod towards the anarchic chaos which should be a function of such a festival. Our contribution to these jollifications is a sort of race with stations which ask the pupils to complete some sort of academic task and move on. I can hardly wait.

And I am not dressing up!

And that is final!

No comments: