Translate

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mine, all mine!


Was it not you-know-who who said that he could resist everything except temptation? And who am I even to think for a moment that I could possibly work against his aphorism.

As no doubt the more astute among you have already realized I am now the proud possessor of a very nifty, very small computer. A computer moreover which responds to the flick of my thumb and puts a space where it should be. My typed words are adequately spaced and my enthusiastic typing does not over ride the little electronic impulse which provides a space where a space should be.

This could be a technological relationship which lasts!

The usual chicanery of the electronic powers that be has ensured that this machine comes to its owner bereft of programs. It does give you a free trial of a suite of programs and then asks for some vast sum of money to ensure that they stay on the list of programs.

The machine is so small that there is no room for a DVD drive so it is difficult to get programs onto the computer. My wish is to attempt to link up my old laptop with this machine and get my copy of Works downloaded by using the laptop as a hard drive. This is an obvious solution which will probably be impossible because of some devious bit of machine code found in the depths of the program that I am trying to download and copy.

I have little expectation of success.

However, until failure makes itself felt, I will rejoice in the sheer quality of what I can only call ‘gadgetness’ and wonder at its sheer portability. This is a love affair that is going to last. I will see tomorrow just how much space and how heavy it is lurking in my case. Only it won’t lurk there long. I have not lashed out on yet another gadget to keep it hidden away in my case!

Plans to cope with The School That Sacked Me continue to mature.

For lunch today we had rabbit. It was served as a sort of pastie of minced rabbit meat covered with pastry. It was not, I have to admit a success. Not only was the meat rather salty but there were small pieces of bone in the mélange: hardly the most appropriate savory to give to children! Having said that, I didn’t see any children actually selecting it, so perhaps it was just served as a little treat for the teachers!

After a phony war period of a lack of marking, the burden has built up through examinations and set pieces into a paper chase of scripts which an unlooked for extra free today has done little to diminish.

The English of the kids is odd. They write with fluency and confidence in English but they make mistakes which are incomprehensible until you realize that they are sometimes directly translating from Spanish or Catalan for their words and phrases.

This week should see some interesting pieces of creative work from a whole selection of pupils. Their efforts will be very revealing.

Meanwhile any suggestions about how to link up my new computer to my older laptop to download the suite of Works programs which I bought some time ago.

I refuse to buy get another version of programs that should be free after the amount I have spent over the years!

But try asking for justice from Microsoft!

No comments: