Translate

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Letters with meaning


Sometimes opening your emails is a real pleasure.

Stewart’s emails are masterpieces of contained quizzicality. And it is very good for me to have someone’s with raised eyebrow reading what I’ve written and gently suggesting that my casual attributions could be a touch more accurate! I don’t know how grave a crime it is for an ex-head of an English department to confuse H E Bates with L P Hartley, but I fear it is little short of a resigning issue – so it’s just as well that I am PBI nowadays!

While Stewart’s emails are always a delight, I hesitated to open those that I knew would have more news from The School That Sacked Me.

In the event there actually seemed to be something positive. Unsurprisingly there seems to be a group of parents which is prepared to voice objections to the way in which the school is being run. This gives me a moment of optimism. Perhaps this disaffection is something which can be built on and could develop into something serious in our attempts to bring The School That Sacked Me back to something like normality.

The story continues!

Meanwhile in my present school the absence of colleagues meant that I lost two periods and had to substitute. This is never a happy experience and when one of your substitutions is for the last period of the day this is potentially a very bad experience. In the first period I did manage to complete the piece of writing that I had set for the class I had just been teaching. In the second I experienced the only round of applause that I have ever been given as a teacher coming in to take someone else’s class! I take little credit for this adulation; I am merely reaping the benefit of not being the person who was there before me. This is a ‘time limited’ advantage and I am making the most of it while I can!

Spanish bureaucracy has reared its head again. The man who helped me to prepare my academic documentation before it was all sent off to Madrid has sent the educational authorities in the city and asked how the processing is going and has had a reply which suggested that all I needed to complete the procedure was proof that I had been teaching for more than two years. I wasn’t even slightly fazed by this seemingly idiotic demand as this information is actually printed on one of the documents sent to Madrid.

A phone call to my last school in Wales got an instant response and I was able to indulge in a chat with an ex-colleague with whom I had to admit that as I was speaking to her it was actually raining. That at least gave her a moment of pleasure. Though she still asked me to find her a job and wanted to know if the invitation to stay was still open!

We move inexorably nearer to the examination season and there will soon be a welter of examination papers waiting for the firm kiss of my red pen!

Oh joy!

No comments: